29.10.07

Celebrate the Temptation!



This is one of my recent creations. I named it "The Union". It's a simple cake or brownie made from cocoa powder and cream cheese.
I always like to make brownies with chocolate but it gets too expensive to make them in bulk especially if you are picky about the chocolatey taste of brownies like me. Cocoa powder is a good alternative. Do not substitute with baking chocolate which is technically not a chocolate. But a product reconstituted with flavourings and other substances which compromise the chocolate taste.
I discovered that fats play the most important part in the making of this brownie. Be it butter or vegetable oil, the taste will vary significantly. Being a Butter freak, I stuck to using butter as fats. If you are not picky about the buttery flavour of your brownies and you are on a tight budget, vegetable oil is perfectly fine. Just not Extra virgin Olive Oil! Choose one that has mild taste or flavour like canola oil.
I chose Gran. Sugar as I discovered it gave an extra crunchiness to the final product.

Here's the much awaited recipe: (Makes 9 servings)
Ingredients
1 cup Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
3/4cup Cream Cheese
Zest and Juice of ONE lemon

Method
(1) Cream Butter and Sugar till light and fluffy. (This doesn't mean all the sugar has melted.)
(2) Beat in Eggs slowly.
(3) Fold in Flour and Baking Powder.
(4) Divide mixture into two portions: 2/3 and 1/3.
(5) Cream the Cream cheese (so that it's not lumpy). Add to 2/3 mixture.
(6) Spread Cream Cheese mixture on base of buttered mould.
(7) Fold in Cocoa Powder to 1/3 mixture.
(8) Spread Cocoa mixture on top of Cream Cheese mixture. Stir with a fork if you want the marble effect.
(9) Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes.

Serve them warm. Add your favourite ice cream or hot chocolate sauce. Indulge!





1 comment:

Tea said...

Sher!!

THank you for posting your blog site!! It is amazing, I absolutely enjoyed reading it! I was so surprised to see your background and a VERY interesting life story. How on earth did you come to Croatia and decided to stay?! (I guess love would be an answer to this question :))
I am so glad we found each other, we will have something to chat about! Where do you work as a chef in Rijeka?? Ahh, I have so many questions ;)
X