I made Bread and Butter Pudding yesterday. It is a real simple dish with nothing fanciful. It doesn't even call for use of expensive ingredients. I have used cocoa powder because someone has successfully stolen the 300g of chocolate from the kitchen. But the recipe worked out well. My grandma loved the original bread and butter pudding. But since I'm a Chocoholic, I have to make a chocolate version. I have used cups as there is no need for precise measurements of the ingredients. You can use Brioche or Croissants in place of white bread.
Here's the recipe for Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding.
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder (depends on how chocolatey you want it)
5 tbsp Sugar
1 1/2cups Milk
1/4cup Whipping Cream
4-6 slices of Buttered stale Bread (enough to fit your dish)
3 eggs, beaten
Pinch of Ground Cinnamon/Nutmeg
Apricot Jam for glazing
(1) Warm Milk and Cream. Dissolve Sugar in mixture.
(2) Remove from heat. Stir in Cocoa powder till thoroughly mixed. Add Cinnamon.
(3) Add Eggs when mixture is sufficiently cooled.
(4) Remove crusts from Bread. Spread generous amount Butter on each slice. Place them into a buttered ovenproof dish.
(5) Pour Chocolate mixture over the bread. Let them soak up as much as possible before putting it into the oven to bake.
(6) Bake at 150 degrees C for 30-45 minutes or till mixture sets.
(7) Upon exit, brush hot apricot jam on top of pudding.
(8) Serve hot or cold with hot chocolate sauce.
Enjoy your pudding!