15.2.08

Erythritol - a natural sweetener


Persimmons.. don't we just love natural products?
Chanced upon this sweetener today. It's been around for quite a while and EU member states have recognised it as an approved sweetener.
According to various sources, it is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol in fruits, fermented foods and even mushrooms!
What's so great about this sweetener is, it contains 95% less CALORIES (than sugar)! Yes, you heard me, extremely LOW calories! On top of that, it is certified Tooth-friendly! Say goodbye to tooth decay.
I think this is a really great product that needs to be shared. Only shame is that it is not widely available in stores yet. You can purchase the sweetener in granulated and powdered forms. Swiss-based Jungbunzlauer claims to be the sole company producing this sweetener for the European market.
See wikipedia for some technical information about Erythritol.
Other sources of note, About.com: Alternative Medicine, Calorie Control Council and an article on Food Navigator.

Disclaimer: This article is written based on my personal opinion. I am not sponsored to write this article and therefore this is not an advertisement or marketing gimmick!


6 comments:

Syari said...

I'll be waiting for this to come up on the shelves at the local supermarkets. :D

curiousfoodie said...

Oh my gosh Sher I love persimmons! I love them crunchy or soft, mmmm...Yum-O.

SheR. said...

>>Syari, I can't wait too. I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners. Metallic. Yucks! We should be able to find it in our stores right now!

>>Amelia, these persimmons in the picture were from our garden last autumn. We had two crates full. Didn't know what to do with them! Any recipes for cakes? I think Jap has!

curiousfoodie said...

Oh my, from your garden...I'm so envious!!! Haha...I want to grow my own fresh herbs next time, in Singapore, I'm not sure if that's possible.

Here're a list of recipes for persimmons, I'll keep looking out! I'm sure you're creative enough to make something out of anything dear. :)
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,persimmon_cake,FF.html

SheR. said...

Cool Amelia! This autumn we shall experiment!!

sarah said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Sarah

http://www.thetreadmillguide.com