22.3.08

Baaaa Baaa Black Sheep Have you any meat?


Oh those little white blobs on the left are Sheep!
It's Easter. And I just found out that in Easter they eat Lamb as it is of great significance to Christian faith. I don't know what's wrong with me but I hate lamb/mutton. Any mention of the meat and my stomach will churn. I can tolerate very low amounts of beef. But Mr Baa Baa says Don't Eat me! And Mary's Little Lamb is just too cute to be killed and served on my plate.

It's the smell in the meat. Even the smell while it is being slowly roasted in my restaurant kitchen can put me off meat for a whole week.

I remember the Mutton Soup that is cooked with loads of aromatic spices in Bedok Hawker Centre. And yet, my super acute senses can detect the slightest hint of Mutton screaming Baa Baa as I hurried my footsteps to get out there as soon as possible!

My first encounter of Mutton comes hidden in minced form in my epok-epok (Malay Curry Puff). My very kind colleague would usually grab a couple of these spicy puffs from a stall before he made his way back to office after delivery. That day, he was in the best of mood. So he bought the expensive epok-epok to treat us. Being the glutton that I am, I grabbed one of those kentang (potatoes-filled) epok-epok and took a big bite. Before I could come to my senses of whatever entered my mouth, I dashed to the toilet and threw up everything I ate the entire day. Returning to the office tired and exhausted from all the vomitting, I questioned him about the mysterious contents (besides the potatoes) in the puff. He confessed it was the delicious mutton that Malays adore. Lo and behold! Never would I want to repeat history again. It was plain disgusting just to think about it.

If the whole thought of Reincarnation is true, I think I was a goat in my previous life! Really think I should become a vegetarian and turn into full-fledged Buddhist instead of being one at heart only. Amitabha. Spare the poor Baaa Baaa..

4 comments:

The_Sphinx's World said...

hehe.. can't tell our stomache what to take. me? I can't eat beef, no matter how one cooks it. the odor is still there, same with goat. I cook beef for my family but I don't eat it. lol!

piebuko said...

ah...
so this is why you were shock with the crucifixions here.
Sher, do you know that we have this dish here where the main ingredient is pig's blood. Literally, pig's blood. We call it dinuguan meaning, bloodied food.
I don't know -- but I like it. :)

C K said...

I love 'kambing'! If cooked right, it actually taste better than beef. It's like durian really: either you love it or hate it.

I recalled going to those roadside stalls in Malacca when I was little ordering their kambing soup.

Hmm...oh and happy Easter hols!

SheR. said...

>>Hello my dear Sphinx. I'm glad I'm not the only around here. You're right about our stomach not being able to accept certain types of food. It just never will no matter how hard I tried to force myself to eat beef.

>>Oh lovely Piebuko. We have pig's blood soup in Singapore too. Now I heard it's illegal. It's replaced with chicken blood. They come in cubes! You should have seen my face when they told me what it was! Ewwwwww!!!

>> Oh.. I miss those good and cheap food in Malaysia too. Just don't be too particular when you are eating at a roadside stall!
CK you're stuck in London for Easter??


Happy Easter to one and all!