28.3.08

Bitter Gourd is saviour for Diabetics!

Eww... I hate bittergourd. My brother absolutely adores this strange bumpy looking melon. And as its name implies, it is terribly bitter. My mum cooks it pretty often as our Chinese-influenced side of the family believes this vegetable to be "cooling". This is a common term in Chinese medicine where we refer to all foods as "Heaty" or "Cooling". When your body is "Heaty", you will tend to get productive coughs (with phlegm) and/or sore throats. When your body is too "Cool", problems such as colds may occur and especially bad for anyone suffering from rheumatism when all the aches start to act up. So we always believe in keeping the body in perfect balance to stay healthy.
"Heatiness" aside, according to latest research, the Bitter Melon or Bittergourd, can be used as a treatment for Type 2 Diabetes (people with impaired ability to convert sugar in blood into energy in their muscles).
Don't we all love a piece of good news everyday? Here's the link.

4 comments:

Amelia said...

I stay FAR away from this bitter bleah thingy. sorry! haha...

SheR. said...

Hahaha... same here. :P I know it's good but sorry mum!

dyosa said...

i love bitter gourd :D

SheR. said...

Good for you Dyosa! I wish I could stand the bitterness. :P