5.4.08

Jams, Marmalades or Preserves - I'm confused?



Have you ever wondered why they came up with thousands of names for the same old thing we call Jam? I did a little search and I realised that are indeed differences between Jams, Preserves, Conserves and Marmalades. So here they are:

Jam
Cooked with sugar and pectin (to achieve jam consistency) and/or lemon juice, the fruits are crushed or chopped. Does not contain chunks of fruits.

Preserve(s)
Difference between the Preserve and Jam is in the texture. Chunks of fruits are visible in Preserve as large or whole pieces of fruits are cooked with sugar.

Marmalade
Usually citrus based. The most common is Orange Marmalade. The citrus peels are added to Marmalade in addition of the fruits.

Conserve
Conserve is a mixture of fruits cooked till thickened. Occasionally with nuts and raisins.

That pretty much cleared up all the mess for me!

And a neat little recipe for you to try cooking your own jams at home!

I really love to use Jams in my baking especially in British confectionery. The list of British confectionery with Jams included are:
  • Jam tarts
  • Jam filled doughnuts
  • Bakewell tart
  • Queen of Puddings
  • Jammie Dodgers
  • Bread and Butter Pudding
The most common jam used in the list above is Raspberry as it is smoother, contains less bits and can be piped into a doughnuts easily. Be it hiding under frangipan or contained in a pastry case. You can enjoy jams in so many ways. Or you could simply eat your Scones with Jam and Clotted Cream!

Now all these are making me hungry. Enjoy your jammy weekend!



2 comments:

uncommon said...

Sher,

Those categories don't seem to work in the USA: mind, the language out there for nomenclature doesn't work for anything European. They call everything like that "preserve" and put it in a portion control packet.

I'd never eaten much Jam, I much prefer Marmalade, and when I've eaten it, I'd always go for the low sugar and high fruit kind. Lotsa lumps and tang for me....

Two years ago: I was sent some home made marmalade: just a couple of jars and it was Ambrosian: gosh it was beautiful. I'm not possessive about food generally: but I hid that stuff downstairs in my basement fridge:)

brendan

SheR. said...

I agree my continental jams, preserves, conserves and marmalades are heavenly. Yeah come to think of it, all the different categories of jams only occur in UK??
Still loved with in my tarts..mmmm...
I'm sure good food needs to be hidden and enjoyed slowly. Hah! :)