26.4.08

Lexan containers..are they safe?

Thanks Brendan for raising concern about another highly durable plastic marketed by General Electric known as LEXAN.

Just a simple search on google brought up the article in Wikipedia on Lexan. Here is the link. Believe it or not, as stated in the article, it leaches BPA (Bisphenol A) too.

Guess all plastics are not meant for food storage afterall especially if they are hot. If you are interested to read up more about plastics, you can read this article from National Geographic Society.


6 comments:

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Sher,

Plastics should never have been created. These poison people while they're being used, and these non-biodegradeable items poison the seas and the land; aside from the blight it causes and the sea animals it chokes. It also kills corals.

I wonder why plastics have not been banned - it must be profitable for some big time political contributors. :-) --Durano, done!

SheR. said...

Yes I totally agree. I recalled the first article I read about CFC and plastics affecting Global Warming back in late 80s. And when I told someone about it, no one was bothered. And now everyone's panicking?!

Plastics will not be banned till a cheaper and better alternative is discovered. Let's hope those scientists hurry up!

brendan stallard said...

SheR,

Re Lexan, Curses:)

Back to the drawing board....


brendan

SheR. said...

Yes Brendan.. totally agree. Plastics are evil! :P

Bong said...

Thanks for the heads up. We have Lexan jugs for backpacking and camping since they are light and durable.

I think stainless steel is the better option...

SheR. said...

Yes. Been reading so much about plastics lately.. I'm totally scared. I think I'll stick to glass! :P