7.4.08

New Deadly Virus - Nipah Virus!!

"People are catching this disease by drinking date palm juice or probably by eating fruit contaminated by the virus, or through contact with infected animals. We have seen nine outbreaks in Bangladesh since 2001, which killed 40-100% of the people who were infected"

Dr Jahangir Hossain, a scientist working in the Dhaka Hospital at the International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research in Bangladesh (ICDDR,B).

This virus emerged from Singapore and Malaysia 10 years ago when pigs were infected through fruits bitten by infected bats. In Bangladesh, the virus is transmitted through contaminated food and animals. The date palm sap being the main culprit. Read this article to find out more.

I'm not sure about the actual implication of this issue. But it has a lot to do with Food Safety. Quoting from a relative, she remarked that poverty-stricken countries are less concerned about Food Safety than filling their stomachs. Only when one can satisfy his hunger and basic needs then can he worry about how safe his food is. Having worked in London where Food Safety is of utmost priority in the Food industry, I agree with this statement to a certain extent. What's yours? Does wealth relate to level of Food Safety consciousness in a country?


4 comments:

uncommon said...

"Having worked in London where Food Safety is of utmost priority in the Food industry"

Sere,

This astounds me: London food is really hygenic?

My word: what must it be like elsewhere?

Did you only work in high priced outfits, or down on the fault line?

I'll have more to say on the issue of the Nipah virus after I've done some research.


brendan

SheR. said...

Brendan, I have to confess those strict hygiene practices only do apply to pricier places and more well known establishments. The others are more slack.

I wouldn't say the H&S rules in Singapore are as stringent as those in London.

When I was working in a food establishment in Singapore, I'm totally appalled by the lack of basic hygiene practices of foreigners that my boss hired.

That's why it makes me wonder...

Sangeeta Sinha said...

Sher, these are really confusing! Whenever we eat something, we have to keep in mind the virus, the bacteria, the fungi and what not! Very frustrating, isn't it?

SheR. said...

I hope I have the answer Sangeeta. We just have to watch out as much as we can!