12.5.08

Pasta Pasta All about Pasta!


Yummy spaghetti!!

Hello all! Had a great start to a week yet? All right maybe not but fret not, I have an article about pasta for you!

For me, I think pasta is the most versatile food on earth. Almost every culture eats pasta or similar products like noodles. You can cook it like the way Italians do with lots of tomatoes, stir fry it Singaporean style or simply serve it as Ramen soup. All are simple variations of the simple pasta or noodles.

Let's start off with the Italian Pasta. This is mainly made form durum wheat (a type of hard wheat). It is simply a dough made from durum wheat flour and water. For homemade varieties, you can add eggs, tomatoes, spinach or even squid ink!

Have you ever wondered how those packs of spaghetti in supermarket shelves end up dried? I've dug around the Internet soil and found an article that lists the whole process. Here it is.

Stage 1: Mixing
As in making any sort of pasta, durum wheat flour (or semolina) is mixed with water to form a dough. Extra ingredients maybe added according to the type of pasta. Green Pasta is made with the addition of spinach and Red is derived from tomatoes.

Stage 2: Extruding
The dough has to be kneaded to the right consistency, then it is extruded through a die (metal disc with holes). The sizes and shapes of the holes in the die form the type or shape of pasta. The extruded pasta is then cut off with sharp blades according to the required length.

Stage 3: Drying
This is the most important step that we can never achieved at home. The pasta is sent through dryers which circulate hot and moist air to dry the pasta slow. Drying times may vary according to pasta thickness. On average, most pasta take 5 -6 hours to dry.

Stage 4: Packing
The final stage is the packaging section. Most of them are packed in plastic bags and sealed or in paper boxes. For more fragile pasta, for example Lasagna or Manicotti, they are packed by hand to prevent breakages.

And for those interested to know the different shapes and names of pasta, here's the link.

Welcome to the world of Pasta, visit the National Pasta Association site.


6 comments:

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Sher,

What a wonderfully informative post. Reading it makes me think of the different flavors, aroma, ingredients, and preparations for these dishes.

I agree, pasta or noodles is very versatile. Didn't Europe learn about noodles from China, through Marco Polo?

Your post makes me salivate for lasagna with white sauce, topped with basil and mozzarella. Yummm.

I like that photo of you enjoying yourself with a full bite. You're making your readers envious! LOL! :-)--Durano, done!

Andrew said...

I love pasta ! My absolute favorite

Jasmine Shanea said...

Can Singapore's Char Kway Teow and Hokkien Mee be included as pasta?? Hmmm.. hahaha anyway, I'm soo hungry and just looking at that pic just makes me feel like eating pasta. Sigh... I shall resist temptation! :)

SheR. said...

>> Oh.. no matter how hard I tried to make my pasta tastes good.. I still can't achieve that in an Italian restaurant.. must be some secret!

Pasta is best enjoyed simple. I still love tomato-based! ;)

Ah... Pasta and noodles are not exactly the same. And the Marco Polo noodle-pasta story is only a myth. Try looking this up through google.

Thanks Durano for the comment.. I shall think of what pasta to cook tonight!

SheR. said...

>> Andrew! Nice of you to drop me a comment. Oh.. pasta.. yums!!!!

SheR. said...

>> Jasmine dear, Noodles are always noodles. Not the same type of wheat and different textures. Just like the Japanese Soba, Ramen or Udon. All different.

Pasta is not fattening. Try Tomato-based. Wholesome and yummylicious!