12.6.08

Restaurant gooblegubble

Sounds like a whole lot of crap. These are the names for the equipment that we use in the restaurants. I will introduce more to you in later posts. Here are two to begin with.

Remanco machine: Neat little printers that print out orders that are directed to each section in the kitchen.

This is the main system of a restaurant. Many will know this as POS (Point of Sale) system. The waiters input the orders at the counter and all these little Remanco machines will go buzzing and printing in the kitchen. Neat hur? Not when you are so used to this system and it breaks down 3 times in 7 days. Then what to you do? Go back to the old pen and paper system. The head chef shouts the orders and you listen hard for yours while cooking. It's such fun!

Gastro containers: See image. These are aluminium containers used for storing food in a kitchen that are prepared for service.

"Pass me a Gastro!" I will be scratching my head wondering what on earth is that till someone pointed it out to me. Gosh.. I just call them containers. You mean they have a special name for everything? Yes dear. I love these Gastro containers as they are easy to clean in a dishwasher and really portable. We can stack them and store them in our fridges easily. Want your house kitchen to look like a professional one? Why not consider getting some Gastro containers?

That's it for some Gooblegubble for the week. Hope you have fun learning them.



8 comments:

Jasmine Shanea said...

Haha great fun facts, especially the ones about the gastro containers. Back at my house my mother will scream in hokkien for containers like this 'oi pass me the GONG'.

Don't you miss Singapore? hahaa..

SheR. said...

Yeah indeed I do! Restuarant Kitchen seems to have a whole new set of language and rules governing it. It's fun to learn new words everyday! Ha...
I prefer Gong!

uncommon said...

SheR,

You know: this sort of post is what makes your blog unmissable.

It might seem somewhat mundane to you, but I found it really interesting.


brendan (who ate out in London today and it was TERRIBLE)

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Sher,

For a while there I thought the Gastro containers were receptacles for the output of someone with gastro-enteritis! LOL! Why on earth is it being used in the kitchen.

Glad I was wrong. Ha ha ha :-) --Durano, done!

SheR. said...

>>Brendan mate!
I'm back. For now, exhausting day running around the Croatian capital to get my documents. And terrible weather too! Yikes!

Thanks for the kind compliments! ;)

Ah.. hopefully the next time I pop by London, I can bring you and your missus to my head chefs' restaurants for good wholesome English cuisine! :)

SheR. said...

>> Durano dear!!
What were you thinking ?? Gastro??... receptacles? What a strange idea. I'll never look at a Gastro container the same way from now on after you pop that strange idea into my head... :P

Lotus Flower said...

Hi Sher,

Sounds more like googlegobbleyahoo:-)

I say Amen to uncommon's comment.

Cheers!

SheR. said...

>> Lotus Flower Hello!!

Googleyahoo Microsoft? Hahah... Just a term I came up with.. nothing related to the "Giants".

Yeah poor Brendan.. English food. :P