4.6.08

Salty Veggie Products?

In your attempt to switch to a vegetarian diet, have you resorted to buying vegetarian burgers or sausages? Did you know that these products actually contain more salt than one packet of crisps?

According to UK's Consensus Action on Salt and Health (CASH), vegetarian products are not as healthy as it seemed.

Surveys found that the saltiest vegetarian sausage in the market, Fry's Vegetarian Traditional Sausage, contains 2.8 g of salt per sausage, as compared to one Sainsbury's pork sausage of merely 0.7 g of salt.


Remember: The Daily Recommended limit of Salt is 6g for the general public and less for children according to UK's Food Standards Agency (FSA).

Here's the article for further reading.

Stay Healthy, eat LESS Salt.

2 comments:

DineometerDeb said...

It's always such a bummer to me we I think I am being healthy and find out that what I am eating is actually worse for me than what I was replacing it with.

SheR. said...

I totally agree with you on that. I love those veggie fingers to replace fish fingers. But they are too salty too! :(

Guess we have to stick to everything fresh. So it's much safer as we know what we put into our own food! :)