6.7.08

Dinner for 5



I have to say.. I was really busy with all the moving and cleaning... and yet we didn't let the opportunity of hosting dinner for our friends who flew in from Paris with their handsome two-year-old Mateo. Too bad I didn't have the time to capture the beautiful moments on camera but we had the most enjoyable time with the boy constantly wanting to play with me.

Let's talk about the dinner. First it was my first time hosting for a family with a 2-year-old. I was really worried that the boy being half French did not like the food. So I had to seek advices from my mates at the Singapore Women Abroad forum. And of course the dear ladies there did not disappoint me. They have suggested and helped me brainstorm for suitable dishes.

Here's the menu:

Starters: Roasted Chips & Mini Pizzas
(That was in the original plan but I forgot to buy yeast!! Yikes!)

Main Course: Boeuf Bourguignon & Fried Rice
(It was my attempt at cooking Beef at home so I was a little scared if I will overcook the meat. Madame Francaise is allergic to Pork and I don't eat beef...so you could imagine the state I was in! Trying to bear the smell of raw meat which usually make me sick... yeah I have to suck it in.. I'm a chef!
Fried Rice was easy. And I thought the fusion dish might go well with the Parisiens couple. Now it's the boy I'm worried about...)

Dessert: Gateaux au Chocolat
(Easily done with my usual 70% Chocolate recipe and real Chocolate Ganache!)

My guests' verdict? The meal went down with a BANG! Yeap! A loud BANG!!! Everyone was busy with second and third servings! Wow! I was so happy. Yeap... a chef's happiest moment! I wasn't very satisfied with all the dishes and I had a lot to do to perfect each dish. I could do better next time.

What could I have done to make it better?
  • Include Yeast on the shopping list and remember it! Hahaha.... Forgetful me.
  • Chips were in the oven for a little too long I reckon. They went a little soggy.
  • Fried Rice was a tad bit undercooked. Rice too hard!
  • The gravy for Boeuf Bourguignon was too thick. I put too much flour. Eeks!! It appeared lumpy!
  • I left the Gateaux in the freezer for too long! Hahaha... Frozen.

So there you have it .. my first dinner at my new flat. Have you been hosting any dinner lately? Do tell and share your experiences!


10 comments:

My Bug Life said...

I would like the chips and mini pizzas..:D

SheR. said...

Heee.. Next time.. I forgot the yeast again!!!

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Sher,

Congratulations! They liked your entire menu. Compliments to the chef!

Glad to know the transfer's done and that it went well too. It may take a few days to get settled but I guess having lived outside your comfort zone for sometime, it would be easy to get used to new surroundings.

I hope there's a good and cheap internet connection where you are.

Whatever is left of the weekend, I hope you have a nice time. :-) --Durano, done!

eastcoastlife said...

Where's the picture of the food? I cannot eat it but want to stare mah!

BK said...

Looks like you have a lot of complains about your own cooking. Yet if you do not 'complain' then there will not be improvement : )

Come back to Singapore soon. You have to host me for dinner. LOL!

Hope everything going on great with the moving and cleaning.

Lotus Flower said...

Congratulations for a meal well done! I am sure your guests had a superb evening of cuisine a la Francais cooked by a Singaporean in Europe. How international can you get:-)

Cheers!

Lotus Flower said...

And oh about my cooking blunders? Too embarrassing and too many. Ha! Ha!

SheR. said...

>>Durano dear mate..
Thanks for remembering me. I'm taking a short break while my mates are busy chatting with my MIL. Hee...
I will need sometime after my mates left before we can get internet connection at the new place. It's slow.. no choice. Arghs. Miss posting and chatting with all of you.
Hope to be back soon. You take care too.

SheR. said...

>> ECL.. sorry I was too busy cooking that I didn't have time to snap any pictures of the food. We have a little 2 year old Monsieur who was stuck to me throughout the whole evening!!!

SheR. said...

>>Bk my dear old friend..
Sure I'll host a dinner for everyone in SG. But you must make it to the Bedok Reservoir... my brother's flat. ;)
Will keep all of you posted.