14.8.08

Like something exotic?



Have some smoked Reindeer!!! Eeks!! You might say but hang on a minute. Do you know that Reindeer meat is the fastest growing sector in the Finnish food industry?

According to a certain website, Reindeer meat has a unique taste of the wild (yeap.. it's classified as Game meat) and yet it has a fine texture and is tender. On top of that, it has extremely low fat content!

All right, before you start shooting me down for eating Rudolph, I have to put the blame on my dear brother who was blogging about the Reindeer meat he tasted (Yeah Brother I'm pointing my finger at you! Hahaha..). Check out his post (scroll a little down the post to catch a glimpse of Smoked Reindeer!).

For those who are feeling adventurous and do have some Reindeer meat stashed away in your igloo somewhere, check out some recipes for Reindeer Steak!

Just in case you are not convinced, Reindeer meat is a staple of the Sami (who inhabit the Kola Peninsular in Russia, Northernmost Finland, inland region of Northern Norway and parts of Sweden from Idre onwards) . Read it here.

Ho ho ho.. oops. Who took my reindeers???

4 comments:

Alexys Fairfield said...

Hi Sher,
We don't get much Reindeer here in Los Angeles and if they were here, they would be on the beach tanning. LOL.

It is good to know that they are tender. We could all use a little tenderness. ;D

DineometerDeb said...

Sounds like it might be like buffalo, which I like. I just heard today about a coming increase in beef prices so maybe reindeer will become more popular.

eastcoastlife said...

reindeer meat? Where to find in Singapore? Got lobang for me to import it. :P

SheR. said...

>> My fair Alexys.
Reindeer Tanning? That explains the Smokiness :P

Ooo TLC. Tender Loving Care. Nice!

>>Dineometer Yo!
Buffalo? Never tasted. We do get Buffalo Clotted Cream here. Forgot the name of it... hee. Goes well with meat dishes.

I hope they don't become popular... those Reindeer. Cos I don't think there's too many of them around..

>>ECL!!! Piak Piak!
Go search on web. Plenty of sites selling Reindeer meat! Hee...