17.10.08

The image of Organic



Found this really interesting article on Food Navigator recently. The author has sat down and gave a thought about the image of Organic products. She had discussed this from the perspective of an average consumer.

After reading the article, it makes me think further about my choice of food products as a consumer. Purchasing Organic is not just status symbol that makes one look good that they are up to date with the latest trends and ideas. Organic is Helping with the Sustainability of Farming. More of everything back to basics. As the author of the article puts it, to maintain a sustainable food chain.

This helps to bring an idea in my head that was a subject of discussion last evening in the car. There is an ever increasing trend for people to eat healthy or turn Vegan. Don't get me wrong. The concept is a perfectly good one. But it has been abused one way or another and I guess it's time to raise my views.

First of all, we need to understand the idea of a Healthy Lifestyle. Yes, opting for more vegetables and less meat is a good way to go. But wait a minute, if you smoke 20 cigarettes a day or drink like a fish. I doubt the choice of food will help you much there!

The second point is cutting down on cholesterol by turning Vegetarian or Vegan. But eating tons of cheeses is healthier than eating the lean turkey? Hm.. I'm not too sure about that.

Lastly, why do those who have made a lifestyle change insist that others follow suit? You may find your Vegan soy burger extremely tasty but hey.. most people prefer their Hamburgers still. So stop terrorising your mates when they prefer to stick to their food habits.

Enough of ranting. Have your say. What do you think?

3 comments:

uncommon said...

Sher,

I was vegan for many years, and its all too easy to eat the wrong stuff. You have to be almost a scientist to get the right levels of nutrition, and carbs is very easy to fall into.

Susan and me are eating grass fed beef and poultry who are grown in a kind manner. It is very expensive, but while eating meat is never going to be ideal, I guess that's the best we can do right now.

brendan

EastCoastLife said...

Oops... seeing your blog, then I remember. haven't reply to your email. :P

sorry, I was busy. See, I'm dropping cards at 3am!
Will do it asap.

SheR. said...

>>Brendan Cyborg mate! Allo!!!

Yeah I agree those Carb counting is very tedious. I gave up on it. It's just too much. I just eat whatever makes my body feel good. Serious.. eating fruits makes my body tinkle! :D

There's never going to be ideal unless we are robots and feed on electricity!

>>ECL...
See you soon then!