7.3.09

Gluten-Free recipes??


Allergic to Wheat Flour?

It's hard to comprehend how it must have been like to live on a Gluten-free diet. Sorry to those out there who are allergic to Wheat Gluten. It's just tough for a baker who works with kilos of Wheat Flour each day to make one bread without the most important ingredient that usually makes up 100% of a basic bread recipe.

I did make a Gluten-Free Bread (when I was a baker) using Rye Flour. Every bakery in London seems to carry one or more types of Gluten-Free Breads to cater to the ever-growing group of Gluten-allergic customers. Not to mention the amount of care needed to make this bread. Every single process (from weighing out the ingredients, mixing the dough to baking the bread) requires special attention as the worktops and scales have to be cleaned down before proceeding to make this bread. Yes, it can be a hassle for the bakers. But we won't want to imagine how a slightest bit of neglect in our line of work could make someone seriously ill or fatal.

So I did a little googling online and found a few sites started by those who are Gluten-allergic. I discovered that besides Wheat Flour, breads and cakes can be made using Soy, Rice or Rye Flour and even ground almond meal (I used that for Frangipane recipes!).

Here's a site I found really interesting and for those of you who need a Gluten-Free site. Visit Karina's Kitchen.

7 comments:

Syari said...

My father in law is gluten allergic. It's not easy to be allergic of anything actually.

SheR. said...

>>Syari sayang.
I totally agree with you!
I hate having to scratch like crazy after cleaning some squid! :(

SheR. said...

>>Syari sayang.
I totally agree with you!
I hate having to scratch like crazy after cleaning some squid! :(

Kitchen Walnut Worktops said...

Hi

Nice to see blog info in your blog and u have very good info on Ash Oak Kitchen Worktops

SheR. said...

>>Thanks kitchen worktops!
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to tell you that Rye is not Gluten Free, in fact. Wheat, Barley, and Rye are off-limits to those with Celiacs.

SheR. said...

>>Hey Anonymous.
Thanks for pointing out. I totally don't have a clue about about what the allergy is!

I finally read up on Celiac Disease. Here's a link.
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/

Time to amend the post!