23.3.09

My Home-cooked Food: Curry Chicken



I guess many of you have heard about the famous Curry. Well I wonder how many different types of curry have you tried?

For example, Thai Red, Yellow and Green Curry each calls for different ingredients that contribute to the flavour and spiciness.

Indian curries (and may I say there is so much to learn about them) are just a well of knowledge to prepare. Each requires the right mix of spices, nuts and ingredients. And for that, their curries have the most levels of flavour (from the perfect combination).

On the other end of the spice-scale, Japanese Curry is a good introduction for those who have yet to dip their tongues into a bowl of spicy concoction. Japanese curry is sweeter (I think with the addition of stock to elevate the flavours) and carrots are added on top of potatoes.

So now, let me present to you, Singapore/Malaysian Curry. Seriously I can't tell the big difference between the two countries' curries except for the Penang types. It is definitely not a dish for starters and the faint-hearted. Remember our Southeast Asian treasures include the most important - Chillies. No, no not Paprika you silly. That is nothing compared to those that are native to our lands. Chillies are used by grams. And definitely more than a handful (We love them. Yeah...) are pounded along with the shallots, garlic and spices. We have a few types that vary slightly in flavour according to the viscosity and meat.

For example, Chicken Curry (in the picture) always come with Potatoes only. It is much thicker and more sinful as we love the Coconut milk in there!

Fish Curry is packed with sourness that gives the dish a lovely kick. Tamarind (or Assam) is a must for Fish Curry. Coconut milk or not is a matter of personal preference.

Of course, Vegetable Curry has a lovely mix of the different vegetables available here. Who says Vegetarians lose out?

My mum and me love Curries and sometimes we wish we know what is the exact combination of spices that work the trick for each Curry. Unfortunately, I guess I have to be born an Indian to be able to master such a wonderful skill.

So Ur Resident Chef signing off on a sunny but chilly (no pun intended) Monday afternoon.

2 comments:

Dutchie said...

I hv tried the green n red curries at Thai Express/SG. Kinda mild.

With the spices available here, I'm able to make mild to hot indonesian curries (from their cookbooks). Y'day we had lontong curry with plain white rice. Compact lontong rice is much nicer of course but it's unknown here. I hv tweaked this dish with an extra lot of deep fried chicken meatballs which we both really liked. I get the illusion of eating fish-cakes - hehe.

Hubby can get quite nutty abt having his curries really really hot (I cant stand them !). He can go on abt getting the african bird eye chillies (little dried chillies n extremely hot that steam will be coming out of ur ears when consumed !) or Madam Janette from Suriname. On a daily basis, he uses sambal badjak with his mayo to spice up his cheese sandwich - that is a tasty combo tho. Fresh red chillies cost 99ct for 2-in-a-pack - horribly expensive right ? In general, all spices come at a high price. I spent easily 25 euro a month on spices (in bottles of 5 to 25 grams) bec hubby needs the kick in spicy dishes.

Did u make the chicken curry from spices obtained in SG or in Croatia ? I certainly missed the real taste of coconut milk as opposed to the santen block-n-milk used in my curries. The real milk taste naturally sweet. Especially when I make laksa - the soup is just not quite right *sigh*

SheR. said...

>>Dutchie!
I guess there's plenty of good Indonesian food in NL. Envy...

I can't even get REAL Chillies here. Ha! I have to resort to growing my own and surviving on the dried chillies that I brought from home.

I got Curry powder from Singapore. I love those stuff. I can store them for ages.

I tried Prima Laksa paste once. It's pretty close to the real thing!

The croatian curry powder is not even close to what curry tastes like!