6.5.09

Post 3: Curry Puff



And many of you will wonder what on earth is this pastry that I'm holding. Well, this is a uniquely Singaporean (and Malaysian and Thai) snack. This pastry is the palm size. The pastry holding the filling is usually a short(crust) pastry made using Flour, Margarine and Salt. The filling is what makes it so special that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Recall my previous post about Singaporean/Malaysian curry? Yes, this lovely pastry holds Potatoes that are stir-fried in Curry powder. Most Curry Puffs do include a small slice of hard-coiled egg and bits of chicken (you can tell that it is usually sold in an ethnic Chinese stall) or Sardines (excluding the Potatoes) or even minced Mutton.

For the latter two filling Curry Puffs, you will have to venture to an ethnic Malay stall to get one. They are called Epok-Epok in Melayu. And the pastry is much thinner and crispier than their Chinese counterparts.

Most if not all Curry Puffs are deep fried to a golden brown. So you can imagine a nice crispy exterior combined with soft, curried potatoes on the inside to be such a wonderful treat! Usually A Curry Puff goes for something between 70 (Singapore) cents to $1.00. Due to the recent Curry Puff craze (which started a couple of years ago), the prices have gone up slightly and there are more fillings available. Even the pastry has become a little more fanciful as competition heats up among the Curry Puff makers!

This spicy treat reminds me of my childhood when my Mum would usually bring me to the centre of town and bought ourselves a couple of those Curry Puffs for tea breaks. I love to eat it with a nice cup of Teh C. What a nostalgic feeling!

Now how many of you are dying to try this?

7 comments:

anj said...

Wah you're making me drooool!!!!! Recipe ?

SheR. said...

Hey Anj!!!!
Hee.. let me try my new recipe first before I post it yeah. :)

C K said...

I tried making it over here in London with short crust (is that what they call it?) and it tasted quite ok. I prefer to have them baked than deep fried. It's fluffier that way.

When I first saw the Cornish Pasty over here, I was like, "Eh? They have curry puffs over here as well!"

SheR. said...

>>CK.
I got a fantastic recipe from my late Aunt who made the best Curry Puff EVER.

I love Cornish Pasties!! Ate one first thing I stepped foot in London!!!

BK said...

Curry puff is probably the only food that I missed a lot when I was oversea. I grew up eating them from as far as I could remember. Maybe we can move Old Chiang Kee there? :P

SheR. said...

>>BK!
Curry Puff is also my favourite. But I guess it's not that tough to make your own. I haven't gotten down to try it..I promise.. soon.

C K said...

@BK,
the quality of Old Chang Kee has gone downhill quite a bit over the years. The oil used has been recycled too many times and the size of each puff has greatly reduced.

One thing that has increased... is of course the price!