6.10.15

Store in a Cool, Dry Place

My Vitamin C tablets.

Does this statement sound familiar to you? Recently I had to collect my monthly drug dosage of vitamins from the pharmacy and I was advised by the pharmacist to store my drugs in a Cool, Dry place. I was quick to inform her that I have been storing them in the refrigerator for the longest time. First she greeted my ignorance with extreme shock (imagine the emoticon :O) then she continued to remind me to store the vitamin C tablets in a cool, dry place. All right, I'm not trying to be funny. Could someone please advise me if such a place exists in Singapore with average temperature of 30 degrees Celsius around the year and a relative humidity that will only make my bread doughs very, very happy?

Doubting the pharmacist, I went on to do a little Googling on my own as it takes more than just an advice from a professional to convince me to stop storing my ascorbic acid in a Cool but not Dry place. Well, it's not hard to find the information if every single site repeats the same mantra of "Store in a cool, dry place". Why is there a need to do so? Vitamins degrade and lose their effectiveness if they are stored properly. At the end of the day, I will simply be popping little orange pills that taste sour. Heat and moisture are not best friends of drugs. According to this site, storing my vitamins in the refrigerator means allowing condensation to enter the packaging each time I open it. This will lead to vitamin deterioration. 

Hope this little piece of information helps you as well. Live healthy and be happy!


No comments: